The recent warmer weather has reminded our office that it’s time to start thinking about Shoreland Restoration.  Property Owners, are you aware of the Forest County Cost-Share Program?  This is a program administered by the Forest County Land and Water Conservation Department.  The Grant money is provided by the Wisconsin Dept. of Agriculture, Trade, & Consumer Protection (DATCP) to fund the program.

Under the program, the landowner pays for all project costs and is reimbursed for up to 50%.  The reimbursement is based on available funds allocated from DATCP.   If a landowner decides to apply for the program, standards of DATCP (Chapter ATCP 50) & the Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS) must be followed.

            The Program allows for:

  • Restoration of the buffer zone with native plants, shrubs, and trees.
  • Erosion control methods such as rip rap, biologs, & other bio engineering methods (as permitted by the Wisconsin Dept. of Natural Resources (DNR).)

            The Program covers:

  • Native vegetation for buffer
  • Erosion control materials
  • Excavation costs
  • Labor for installation – costs for a contractor can be reimbursed or landowner labor can be reimbursed at a rate of $10.00 per hour.
  • Geotextile fabric

            The Program does not cover:

  • Removal or installation of docks/piers.
  •  Removal or installation of steps, walkways, lifts, etc.
  • Materials such as wood, brick, plaster, blacktop, or demolition material for rip rap use.

            If you’re interested in the Program, you can access an application from the Forest County Website ( under the Land Conservation Department, by contacting the Land Conservation Dept. at (715) 478-1387, or by email:  .

            Once the application is received a site visit will be done by county staff and a DATCP engineer to determine eligibility and consult with the landowner(s).

            If property is determined eligible, we will conduct a survey of your property/project and a plan will be designed.  Once you approve of the plan, you will have to obtain permits from the appropriate agencies (DNR, Corp of Eng., Local Zoning).  You will also have to obtain two (2) bids for your project to be submitted for approval from the Land and Water committee.  A contract and maintenance plan will be signed by you and the Project may begin!

Again, if you’re interested or have questions, contact Forest County Land & Water @ (715)478-1387 or email:  .